Monday, October 26, 2009

Torrey Pines


I had no idea that the Torrey Pine is the rarest tree in the United States.  I found that out a few days ago when I took the kids for a little hike at the Torrey Pines State Reserve.  Not to be confused with the Torrey Pines Golf Course which is right next to the reserve and happens to be the location where they arrested that creepy Scott Peterson.  That is all I can think of when I hear Torrey Pines...I don't know why...it is just a bit of disturbing trivia that sticks in my head.  That they arrested him at the golf course and he had $10,000 in cash on him, as well as, a map to the house of his ex girlfriend, Amber and potential weapons in his trunk.  Why, Oh Why, are those details still in my mind?  We didn't even live here when all of that drama went down.  But, that is what comes to my mind when I drive up to the parking lot of the Torrey Pines State Reserve.  Thankfully, the thought quickly disappears when we get out of the car and start on the walk.



I have been forced into retirement again from Williams-Sonoma.  I always get laid off in October.  Last year, my unemployment only lasted a month before they brought me back on.  This year, I may have to wait until February...maybe longer.  But I plan on enjoying the break and will be forever grateful for my flexible part time work on their websites.  It is a perfect stay at home mom kind of job and I can't believe how lucky I am/was to get to work from home during the hours of my choosing.  I hope my luck continues and I hope that people shop this holiday season so that I can get my job back.  In the meantime, I will enjoy the time with my kids and the free perks of living near San Diego. 





We were a little bummed out to find our favorite trail ended here.  This is just the beginning of the cliff section where you get amazing views of the ocean, the surfers, and often a hang-glider soaring by.  I think some of it fell into the sea and they are working on creating a new path.
 
Sam brought along his newest favorite animal.  A California Condor that my dad purchased for him at the zoo a few days ago. 

A very natural looking couple noticed what Sam was carrying and asked him about the Condor.  I came up on the tail end of the conversation between them and overheard in a very stereo-typical California hippie accent, "Oh Wow, that is sooo wonderful.  The California Condor is a very honorable animal.  They don't waste anything."  And then Elise got mad when she told them she got a frog and they didn't respond. I think they just didn't hear her because they seemed truly fascinated that a 5 year old had chosen the Condor as his favorite animal.  But it did not matter, I had to answer 5 minutes of questions from both Sam and Elise as to why the couple liked Condors but didn't like frogs.
"I don't love them, Mommy." Elise declared.  "Because they not like my frog."

No comments: