Sunday, October 4, 2009

Feels Like Fall


We had a high of 68 degrees today.  I know it sounds ridiculous to say that nearly 70 feels like fall but when you have lived here for a while, you really get wimpy and 68 is cold enough to require a sweater.  We spent the morning enjoying the wind and the clouds while playing in the front yard.  I took these pictures of a few hints of fall in our yard.


I love the fall.  And the kids love October.  They are so excited for Halloween.  Elise is getting Halloween and Christmas a little confused but she is excited either way.  She keeps saying, "Look!! Pumpkins!  That means Santa is coming! And I will see all the lights, I love the lights!"


 I tried to grow my own pumpkins this year because I hate paying for pumpkins.  The plants started out strong and beautiful and they would flower every day.  But the flowers never turned to fruit.  I researched and tried to get the male flowers together with the females but still nothing.  Then the plant started to turn white and die.  I think I had a small pest and that was that.  No pumpkins.  Bummer! I will try again next year.  It is time to talk to Aunt Ruthie - rumor has it  she is our family pumpkin expert. 

Because of our pumpkin shortage, and the wonderful fall weather, it turned out to be a perfect day to head to the pumpkin patch.


Oh, one more thing, only because I don't want to forget this...
Tonight, once PJ's were on and teeth were brushed, the kids were on the sofa with Keith watching a bit of a football game. (The Charger game - San Diego tried their best but failed to come back against the Steelers. Darn.)  Sam started thinking of the nicest things he could say to Keith.  It was sweet but I think it was just a creative strategy to try to delay bedtime.  Anyway, Sam gave Keith a big hug and said, "I love daddy so much that sometimes my heart rips."  That bought him an extra 10 minutes of cuddling on the couch, for sure.

Note: Excuse the formatting of this post.  I am using bloggers new editor and I don't quite have it figured out yet!

No comments: