Thursday, January 21, 2010

Angry Mama



I made this mama bird very angry today.  I don't blame her for being pissed at me.
I went next door to ask my cute little 13 year old neighbor if she could babysit for me tomorrow night.  While waiting at the door, I noticed this...


Actually, I noticed the mama bird sitting there...I didn't even notice the nest at first...I thought it was just a hummingbird sitting very still hiding from the rain.  I ran home to grab my camera.  When I returned, the bird was gone.  That is when I noticed the nest.

I held my camera up high and tried to aim it to the inside of the nest so I could see what was inside.

But I could not get my camera to focus.  I tried again.

Darn!  This is when Mama came back and started cursing me out.  And flapping her wings fiercly making the humming sound as loud as she could.
I tried to be quick and I pulled the branch carefully down so I could take my picture and get out of her way.  Then I heard a little snap.
Shoot!
I felt so guilty...the weak little branch started to break...now I was freaking out because I did not want to be responsible for the destruction of this perfect little nest.
Mama bird was cursing even louder.
I carefully bent another branch under this one for temporary support and ran home for some duct tape.

I secured the branch.  And this time I brought a step stool.
Look at this little precious site.


Mama bird wasn't yelling at me anymore.  I think she could sense my guilt and knew I was trying to make it right.  She hung out at the tree behind me while I mended the branch.

I am happy to report that she is back in her nest keeping those little babies warm.
Thank God.  I would not have been able to live with myself if I ruined that little nest.

Wonder what the neighbors will think when they get home and see the duct tape on their tree and an apology note from me on the door.  Not one of my better moments!

4 comments:

GETyourMOMMYon said...

You are both terrible and forgiven. Loved your writing, sounds like a good episode for Desperate Housewives.

Josh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Josh said...

Way to go "Snoopy McSnooperton" ;-) I like the way you duct taped the tree. You can hardly see it. ;-P

Glad you fixed it. All is right with the world. You are such a good person.

No sarcasm in the last three sentences. First three: Major amounts. Last three: Not a drop.

Joiner Family said...

um...maybe you should go buy some brown duct tape. I want to know what the neighbors said!